Thursday, May 13, 2010

Night Owl vs. Early Bird

Let me be totally honest- I've never been an early bird. There was a stretch of high school where Amy and I woke up at 5 am to go running. Well those days are long gone! I had a class at the U of U that started at 7:30 in the morning. I had to jump on the bus at 6:30 just to get there on time. Well- I was never on time, slept the whole bus ride and then slept when I got to class! Hey- I still got an A!
Staying up late, however, has always been something I was good at. For the first year of marriage I don't think we made it to bed before 2 am. Even when we caught our flight to Hawaii in the early morning- we just stayed up all night long instead of waking up early!! And now having completed 3 years we had still hardly made it to bed before 1 am... until now.
Jake is taking some classes this summer- and they start at 7:30 am. Needless to say we found it imperative to go to bed earlier. And believe it or not I've found some good things about waking up early!

Early Bird Pros:
I get to play with Peewee when he gets up.
I have more time to do chores.
I can have breakfast earlier.
I have time to actually get ready for the day!
I can take a little nap in the afternoon!!

Early Bird Cons:
It's hard to wake up early.
The roads are busy are the school zone lights are flashing.
Peewee doesn't like to be waken up to be put in his car seat- hey who would?
We don't get to stay up late to hang out together.
Even though I have time to get ready doesn't mean I actually do it!
And I often forget to get breakfast, and don't spend the time doing the chores I should... oh well- I'll get the hang of it!

Night Owl Pros:
Jake and I get to spend more time together.
When Peewee wakes up (instead of us waking him up) I just bring him into bed with us!
It's quiet at night (as opposed to in the morning!)
It's lots of fun to stay up late!
I never go to bed wondering what tomorrow will bring- because it's already tomorrow!

Night Owl Cons:
After Peewee has come to bed with us for a little bit he wants to get down and play, so we let him play while we sleep instead of playing with him.
It leaves me feeling tired and lethargic, like why on earth would I blow dry my hair today?
I don't get in the shower til 1 pm sometimes- which can really cut into my day!
I miss phone calls that come any time before 10:30 in the morning.
Once I finally get around to thinking about breakfast it's already noon so I sometimes skip and wait to eat lunch!

Being the first week of early bird habits I'm inclined to say that I like being a night owl better. However... I'm pretty sure Early Bird beats out Night Owl in the long run and will prove beneficial and productive, and even make me happy!

**Please note that being and Early Bird DOES NOT make me a "morning person" and nobody should try to call me at 7:30 am just to chat. Also, I should not be awakened by anyone other than my son or husband as I can still be very grumpy and irratable. :)

1 comment:

Betts Family said...

I think that I'll leave the worms to the early birds and enjoy my nightlife a little longer. And showering before noon is overrated, enjoy it until Polo hits school age (my fun ends in September;(). Love you