Saturday, September 19, 2009

Impracticalities- Doing Things I Shouldn't

Did you know that it's impractical for a mother to pick up her child every time he cries? She should let him cry it out. Otherwise he will come to know that if he cries, he will get picked up. He will know that he has his mother wrapped around his little finger.

Did you know that's it's impractical for a mother to rock her baby to sleep? She should put him in bed while he's still awake. That way he will learn to put himself to sleep- a skill he will definitely need in the future so that's he's not always looking for his mother to comfort him.

Did you know that it's impractical to give your baby a binky before he is 2 months old, and after he is one year old? Giving a child a binky can make them dependent on it. It should only be given to a baby at bed time, when they can use it to soothe themselves- going along with that whole idea of being able to put themselves to sleep.

Did you know it's impractical for a mother breastfeed her baby all the time? If she's set on using breastmilk, she should pump it and use a bottle at least once a day. That way she won't be tied down and she'll be able to leave baby with a sitter while she goes out.

Did you know it's impractical for a mother to let her baby sleep in her bed? How are she and her husband ever going to get any alone time? How will they have a sex life? And baby will never learn to sleep by himself!

Well I guess you can call me MRS. IMPRACTICAL! Because if my baby cries, I'm going to comfort him! Of course he has me wrapped around his finger!
And I could let my son scream for 15 minutes while he tries to put himself to sleep, or I could spend 15 minutes and rock him to sleep. So what if he looks to me for comfort! That's what I'm here for!
And guess what- my baby LOVES his binky! It makes him feel safe in a way that I can't- so I'm going to let him have it!
And I won't give my baby a bottle once a day! He's only 2 months old! At this point, if I go somewhere- he comes along!
And yeah- we bring our baby into bed with us sometimes! And he loves it! And we love it! And we STILL love each other!!!

5 comments:

Betts Family said...

I love it! I'm with you on Mrs. Impractical. . . Babywise parenting is so not for me, I love to snuggle them up and spoil them rotten!! Love you and he is sooooo darling.

Rick and Rachael Underwood said...

I just took my test on pediatrics and actually the snuggling thing and picking him up every time he cries shouldn't go into play until about 4 months, before that babies need to be touched as much as possible. So....be as impractical as you want for a while LOL:)

Amy said...

Vanessa you are so funny :) I love everything that you said and agree with it 100%...I'm so glad that I have such an awesome mom friend to look to for advice!! I love you!! I can't believe how big polo is...ahh!! I love him too!!

Chels said...

Amen! Actually research now shows just the opposite of many of those "impracticalities". I'm just the same way. If your interested in a good book that supports all of those things check out "The Attachment Parenting Book" by William Sears, M.D. and Martha Sears, R.N.

ROARleagueOFjustUS said...

all i know is that that is some CUTE STUFF and a FREEKN CUTEASHECK LIL' BOY RIGHT THERE. MY NEPH PEEWEE! wish i could hug him right now. Conley wants to wrestle with him but i told him not yet!