Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Purses and Trust Issues

There's an article on msn.com today about women and their purses. In the beginning it is quite witty and cute- and then streams into this...
"Although a confessed pursaholic, Los Angeles psychotherapist Nancy Irwin says carrying 20 pounds of “necessities” every day may indicate trust issues.“If you don’t have a really good reason to carry around a lot of stuff — like you’re traveling or nursing a baby — then you’re burdening yourself unnecessarily,” she says. “You’re not trusting that what you need will be there in the environment.”
Um hello??!! Did I just read that right? If just a regular woman with my regularly large bag then I have trust issues?
Let me tell you a little story. Last month Jake and I went to a concert. It turned out to be one of the coldest nights of the year so far and the wind was particularly icy. The artist didn't even show because he was sick (remember how I signed up to do Amos Lee karaoke?) so we just sat in the venue and the band gave us a show. We were just sitting there, kinda bummed. I think I even left my coat on for half the night. But...

My purse held several things which I never thought I would touch but took "just in case". A can of hairspray, a brush, all the make-up items I had used to get ready that night, my zune (who needs an mp3 player when you're going to a concert right?), and a whole bunch of other stuff irrelevant to this story. So some people would say that the hairspray. brush and make-up was unnecessary and the zune was silly. Well guess what- I needed those things. I signed up to do karaoke right? So I had to make sure that if I was going on stage I would look ok. The freezing cold wind didn't do wonders for my hair but it was fine for sitting in the dark- but not if I was going to sing in front of 2500 people! Dinner had worn off my lipstick and so a touch up was definitely needed.
Then when I signed up they told me I needed a backup song. So i got out my zune and searched for another song that I really liked!! How was the environment supposed to provide me with my shade of lipstick and an mp3 player with all my Amos Lee music on it?
A wise man told me :) that there are two types of people in this world: those who adapt to their surroundings, and those who adapt their surroundings to them. I believe that when I leave my home I have basically no control over what my surroundings will be like. I cannot hope to change them to conform to my needs. I can only hope to survive in them with what I bring (whatever happens to be in my purse!) So this lady is right- I DON'T trust that the environment will provide what I need. But it's not really a "trust issue". It's just life. It's the way we live.

2 comments:

Betts Family said...

Ha ha! You are awesome I love it, you should have written that article!! Here's my little secret, I don't take the time to ever get what i need in the purse and therefore am always under prepared, my trust issues are so bad I cannot even think of what to put in my purse because the list is too long! lol!

Warren said...

omg...there's the reason.
merga asked me the other day.."what is it with women and their ridiculously large marry poppins like bags full of JUNK!? you answered.

but...just wanted to say, if you wanna get me that purple kathy bag..i probably wouldn't hate you! :)
that's all,
love eth