Friday, April 25, 2008

Key Lime Pie- YUMMMMMM!

This pie is sooooo good! I saw it on the Food Network about a year ago and it's been one of my favorites ever since. Plus it's easy! I've even learned to add my own twists to it! Wow- my first modified recipe! :) I'm learning...slowly.



1 Graham Cracker crust
zest of 2 limes
3 egg yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup lime juice (fresh squeezed or bottled)

1. Beat yolks and lime zest together on medium speed until thick or about 2 minutes
2. Slowly add sweetened condensed milk and beat 3-4 minutes
3. SLOW speed- pour in lime juice and just beat until it's barely mixed in. Don't keep beating it.
4. Pour filling into crust and bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes or until just set (like Jell-O)
5. Let cool, then freeze it and you're done!

Vanessa's awesome chef tips...
1. I like to use egg whites instead of yolks, but if you make two pies, then you can do one of each.
2. If you don't like your pie tart, use less lime juice- as little as 1/3 cup.
3. Put it in the fridge 15 minutes before you serve it and it will take away that icy feeling.
4. This looks beautiful with whipped cream and strawberries on top (and even lime slices too!) and tastes even better than it looks!
5. Oh and hey, I bet this would taste good as a lemon pie too!

2 comments:

Betts Family said...

Oh looks soooo yummy but could you please make some and then I'll come over and eat it cuz I'm too lazy today to make pie!!!

Rick and Rachael Underwood said...

Made it, LOVE IT, your a genius!
P.S. Miss you :). PPSS Lets go shopping:)!!